In my book Making Life Easy, I talk about Saturn’s return––the time when the planet Saturn returns to where it was at the time of your birth. The first Saturn return occurs between the ages of 27–32. The second Saturn return occurs around age 58.
Saturn’s return is about growing up. The first Saturn return is about learning how to survive on your own. The second Saturn return is when our souls urge us to move out of survival mode and our fear-based mind-sets and align with the Divine part of ourselves. This is when you really start to live robustly—physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
10 Ways to Nurture Your Soul Every Day
Here are 10 easy ways to nurture your soul so that you can live every day from that Divine part of yourself and truly thrive.
- Take care of your body. You are a Divine being temporarily housed in a physical body. It is your job to take care of your body until you leave it. The most important aspect of caring for your body is having healthy beliefs about what is possible physically, especially as you move through time. Be sure to move your body every day in a way that supports health. Eat whole, natural foods, including lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and legumes. Animal protein should be a condiment and can include grass-fed beef, naturally raised pork, and wild game. Limit grains and sugar. And be sure to nourish your body with supplements as needed, including a good multivitamin/mineral, iodine (12.5 mg per day), vitamin C (1,000–5,000 mg per day), vitamin D (5,000 IU per day), and magnesium (1,000–2,000 mg per day).
- Own your story. Owning your story gives you the power to changewhat you were shamed into believing about yourself so you can reconnect with your true self. Shame is usually passed on from generation to generation in the form of implied rules and regulations. Stepping out of the role that you are shamed into––victim, persecutor, rescuer––is necessary for physical, emotional, and spiritual health.
- Detox your pineal gland. The pineal gland is part of the endocrine system in the brain. It is located beneath the cerebral cortex, where the two hemispheres of the brain join together. This is the place where the brain regulates consciousness and interprets the body’s sensory and motor functions. The pineal gland is made up of the same rod-shaped, light-sensitive cells that your retina is made of and receives signals that travel down the optic nerves. It is often called your third eye chakra, which is the gateway to higher consciousness. The pineal gland regulates your sleep-wake cycles and daily and seasonal circadian rhythms by producing melatonin. The pineal gland also transforms serotonin into melatonin.
- Meditate. Meditation is scientifically proven to have many health benefits, and there are many types of meditation you can practice. One of the immediate benefits of meditation is being able to calm your mind. When your mind is calm and you become present, you are more readily able to receive messages from your higher self. All you need is a willingness to be open to hearing them and to love whatever arises. You can do this simply by saying “Thank you” to any difficult thoughts that arise. When we stop fighting with ourselves and stop seeing ourselves as flawed or unworthy, we are aligned with the Divine within ourselves, and we actually contribute to higher vibrations for everyone.
- Fuel your passion. Pursuing passion feeds your vital life force, or shakti. When you feed your vital life force by doing what you love and having a healthy sex life, you can feel the direct connection between your body and your soul. When you are in touch with this vital life force, you experience the illusive “will to live”––the fire within that keeps you going. Stoking that fire consciously keeps you healthy physically, emotionally, and spiritually. On the other hand, when your vital life force is blocked for too long, physical symptoms can be the result. The best ways to connect to your vital life force are to (a) remain turned on to life, (b) actively seek pleasure and beauty, (c) engage in mindful sexual expression, and (d) learn how to operate your own erotic anatomy.
- Practice grounding. Medical studies show that grounding––the practice of realigning your body’s electrical energy by reconnecting to the earth––is healing on many levels. The soles of your feet have one of the highest concentrations of nerve endings in your entire body. Walking barefoot on the earth helps to balance your body’s electrical circuitry with the earth’s electromagnetic field. When your body’s electrical circuitry is balanced, you are able to connect to your higher self and integrate the information your soul sends you. All you have to do is walk barefoot in the grass, sand, or mud, allowing your skin to touch the natural ground.
- Say affirmations. Affirmations can be used for many different reasons, including reconnecting to your higher power. One affirmation you can say is “I am a spiritual being with divine intelligence.” You can also give your soul power through affirmations by saying “I answer to the calling of my soul” or “I allow my soul to find healing.” Or you can create your own affirmations that make sense for you.
- Practice gratitude. A great way to connect with your soul is to express gratitude. Gratitude helps you to become more resilient to life’s ups and downs. When you are less reactive, you are better able to stay connected to Source. A great time to practice gratitude is when you first wake up in the morning. Often, the first thoughts you have as you are waking up are messages from your soul. As you begin to wake up, notice any thoughts you have, and take a moment to write them down as they come to you. Then say “Thank you” to your soul for these messages. Once you are out of bed, stand in front of the mirror, scan your body, and say “Thank you.” This is a great way to acknowledge the connection between your body and your soul and remind yourself to treat both with love and kindness throughout the day.
- Ask for assistance. Call it praying, talking to God, or whatever you choose to call it, but asking your higher power for assistance can help you tune into the signs and messages from your soul and guide you toward living your truth. It’s not difficult to ask for assistance, and doing this regularly will help you feel more comfortable knowing what messages are coming from your higher power. It will also help when you are faced with situations you are not sure how to deal with.
- Have a sense of humor. We have all heard the saying “Laughter is the best medicine.” In fact, laughter has been shown to be good for your blood vessels, heart, and immune system. It can lower anxiety and stress levels, and it helps your brain release dopamine, serotonin, and endorphins to improve emotional health. It even benefits your respiratory system. In fact, laughter yoga is a great practice for recharging your body and mind, because it helps to regulate the flow of vital life force, inducing calmness, focus, and energy. This state of energetic calm is the perfect physical state for accessing your higher self. (This is one of the reasons a physical asana practice is done before meditation.)
Start by naming what you need, and take baby steps toward putting your needs into action. This will help to dissolve the blame/guilt knot that stems from shame. For example, if you normally don’t allow any time for yourself and your needs in your daily life, you can state, “I need to go for a walk.” Then, instead of trying to plan a 30-minute walk into your busy schedule and announce to everyone that you are going to take a walk, simply wake up 15 minutes early, put on your shoes, and step out the door. By doing this, you are honoring your higher self. When you regularly make changes based on your own needs, you release shame and improve your self-worth while at the same time stepping out of ego and into self-love and forgiveness.
Your pineal gland can become calcified due to poor diet; environmental toxins, such as fluoride and chlorine in water; electromagnetic fields (EMFs) caused by wireless technology; and other stressors. When your pineal gland becomes calcified, it can create a host of physical symptoms. In addition, this can block your ability to connect to your spirit and higher energies. Making lifestyle changes such as cleaning up your diet, drinking pure water, and avoiding chemicals can help to clear your pineal gland. You can also try taking supplements such as chlorella, spirulina, and wheatgrass, which are good detoxifiers for the pineal gland. A tiny pinch of borax in water daily can also be a good way to detox your pineal gland. Sun gazing at sunrise and/or sunset is also a potent way to activate your pineal gland.
There are many ways to ask for assistance. You can use formal prayer, say a Divine Love petition, ask for a sign, or however you best can communicate with your higher power. You can set specific times for this practice, such as when you wake up in the morning, before you go to bed, or as part of your meditation practice. By asking for assistance, you are putting your relationship with the Divine part of yourself first. When you do this, everything else falls into place.
What do you do to nurture your soul? Please leave your comments below.