Empaths are highly advanced souls being incarnated on earth in increasing numbers to shed light into the darkness during this time of transformation. There are more empaths on earth right now than ever before. In fact, medical intuitive, Caroline Myss, refers to empaths as “the new normal.”
All empaths are highly sensitive people, but not all empaths are alike. For example, an emotional empath feels the emotional state of others. For this type of empath just going to the mall on a busy Saturday could be exhausting. A physical empath is able to pick up on the physical ailments of others, often getting headaches or feeling nauseated when someone around them has these symptoms. A friend of mine used to experience joint and muscle pain and fatigue when she was around her mother who has arthritis, and chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia. A cognitive empath thinks about what others are feeling and why.
While most empaths are thought to be emotional or physical empaths, there are also empaths who feel the emotions of animals. These people often can’t go near a zoo. Global empaths pick up on the emotions of humans across the planet and may have a hard time watching the news. Other empaths can feel the earth’s energy and may even be able to predict earthquakes and other catastrophes.
If you are an empath you may have traits of one or several different empath types. And, no matter what type of empath you are, you may frequently feel exhausted or debilitated due to taking on the pain of others.
Super Traits and the Empath
There are many degrees of empathy. And as an empath, it’s likely that you reach different degrees of empathy during different times of your life. That said, most empaths exhibit super traits. These include agreeableness, feeling optimistic about human nature, a willingness to compromise, and concern for social harmony.
In addition, most empaths are very trusting, and we feel strongly invested in our relationships. We are natural helpers and fixers, and that’s what makes us prey to energy vampires. It’s no wonder that many empaths feel they need to hide their true nature.
This desire to hide, not rock the boat, or just blend in and be helpful is the empath’s form of self-protection. For example, you may choose not to go to parties, malls, concerts or crowded, loud venues frequently because they make you feel anxious, overwhelmed or drained. You may also avoid other places where you are more apt to feel negative or low energy, such as battlefields. Yet, for many empaths, no matter how hard you try to take care of yourself, you still end up sick, exhausted and with a slew of health issues you can’t understand.
The good news is, you don’t have to sacrifice your well-being if you are an empath. There are ways you can take advantage of your innate strengths and goodness. And, you don’t have to do anything extraordinary. As an empath, everything you do to heal yourself actually helps to heal the planet. Your mere presence on this planet is what creates the highest level of transformation for humankind.
9 Super Traits of Empaths
- Highly sensitive. Sounds, smells, and low energy can overwhelm you.
- Spiritually open. Feel connected to a higher source.
- Attuned to other people’s moods. Absorb other people’s emotions,
- Introverted. Prefer 1:1 contact or small groups. If extroverted, may limit time spent in a crowd or party
- Intuitive. Can sense when something is off.
- Easily overwhelmed in intimate relationships. Too much togetherness is difficult.
- Targets for energy vampires. Prey for narcissists, drama queens, chronic talkers.
- Nourished by natural world. Seek refuge in nature.
- Huge hearts. Often give too much, good listeners. Relieve the pain of others by taking it on, then feel drained.
8 Ways to Turn Your Super Traits into Super Powers
If you are an empath you may feel that you are cursed in some way. The truth is empathy is a gift, and you have the power within you to turn your empathy into a power like no other.
Here are some ways you can activate the empathic power within you:
- Acknowledge that you are an empath. If you are an empath, compassion is your calling. You were hard-wired since birth to anchor the light on the planet. Acknowledging that you came here to do this is the first step toward letting your inner light shine. Learn more about your empathic nature in my book, Dodging Energy Vampires:An Empath’s Guide to Evading Relationships That Drain You and Recovering Your Health and Power.
- Trust your intuition. As an empath, you are highly sensitive. Whether you can read people’s minds, receive psychic images, pick up on smells, or sense a feeling in your gut, learning to trust yourself and the messages you receive will help you avoid energy vampires and find positive, healthy relationships.
- Don’t play the victim. Empaths often lack self-worth. After a while, your need to be loved can turn into a victim mentality. This is commonly seen in spiritual relationships where the guru ends up with all of the resources and the devotees are drained of self-esteem, money and more.
- Set boundaries. Once you are able to recognize the energy vampires who drain you, set limits on the amount of time you spend with them. Notice how you feel when you are with them and how you feel afterward. Soon, you will be able to walk away for good and recover your precious energy. You will also have a lot more time on your hands to do something you love.
- Meditate. Empaths need time to recharge. Meditation is a great tool for empaths and it takes only a few minutes. For example, Judith Orloff, M.D.’s 3 Minute Heart Meditation can help you feel centered in your heart energy. This is great for taking back your power when you start to feel sensory overload. But, you don’t have to sit to meditate. Spend time in nature or try visualizing yourself in a protective bubble where dark energy cannot reach you, but light can filter through. Do this several times per day.
- Breathe. Develop a breath practice where you simply sit and consciously breathe. As you breathe in, think about clarity and power. As you exhale, think about breathing out negative energy. You can even say “I am breathing in power. I am breathing out stress and negativity.” Do this several times per day to clear any built-up stress in your body.
- Transmute negative energy. As empaths we take on a lot of negative energy everywhere we go. Employ ways that you can transmute negative energy in real time. For example, bring plants into your workspace to help absorb any negative energy. You can also try crystals which are natural energy modulators. Surround yourself with beauty. Try to speak positively in a difficult situation. Finding the humor in a situation when possible can also transmute negative energy. Another thing you can do is start each day with a gratitude affirmation to increase positive energy.
- Love yourself. As an empath, your life’s purpose is to take care of yourself. It’s all you are asked to do! Listening to your own thoughts and emotions is self-empathy. Take some time every day to honor your feelings and embrace your sensitivities. Recognize that you can be vulnerable and strong at the same time. Celebrate every time you listen to your intuition or do something that helps you become happier, stronger and healthier. Remember, when you live up to your full potential, you actually transform the lives of others.
Once you fully embrace your empathic nature, you will be able to experience great joy. You will see the big picture on a deeper level – one that is full of beauty. And, you will be able to refill your own energetic cup by aligning directly with Source.
How has your life improved since embracing your empathic nature? Be sure to leave me your comments.
Additional Resources from Dr. Northrup