Just what is a “blue zone?” It’s an area where people live longer than age 100. These pockets may become more and more prevalent in the coming years. People over 90 are the fastest growing segment in our society today!
When people hear this, they have one of three reactions: to freak, shriek, or cheer. I’m all for cheering! Centenarian consciousness is alive and well, and just waiting to be copied. The term “centenarian consciousness” was coined by Dr Mario Martinez, who has studied hundreds of healthy centenarians all over the planet. He is founder of the Biocognitive Institute and author of the Mind Body Code (Sounds True 2014).
As I talk about in Goddesses Never Age, thriving centenarians have similar traits. To start, many are rebels. They walk to the beat of their own drum, and have done so all their lives. They also:
- Make rituals of pleasure a part of their day. For example, they might have a shot of whiskey or smoke a fine cigar every day. They aren’t addicted to these substances, rather, they look forward to savoring both the substance and the ritual. Think Japanese tea ceremony.
- Are not co-dependent. They don’t stay in relationships that are unhealthy or dysfunctional, or with people who have addictions.
- Live in communities where they are revered. They surround themselves with people and situations where they are respected for their contributions and wisdom.
- Don’t go to doctors—partially because they’ve outlived their doctors. Because they aren’t spending time at doctors, they aren’t focused on their possible decline.
- Are future-oriented. They make long-term plans because they see themselves thriving in the future.
Share or pin this:
Centenarians Practice the Causes of Health
If they live longer than 90, centenarians often notice that their health actually improves. I believe this happens because they have time to do the things that actually cause health. I talk about the causes of health in detail in Goddesses Never Age, five of which are below.
- Have a relationship with the Divine. When you reconnect with Spirit and honor your own spirit, you see yourself as a goddess. This gives you a different perspective on your own health and your ability to create wellness, because it allows you to co-create health with the power of the Divine.
- Actively manage stress hormones. Stress wreaks havoc in the body and can cause a cascade of problems, including mood, sleep, and blood sugar issues. Chronic fear, resentment, anger, and sadness trigger stress hormones, too. Build in time to rest and restore, eat a low glycemic diet, and re-evaluate any unhealthy relationship you may have.
- Sleep. There is no better way to rest and restore at the cellular level than sleep. Our bodies were designed to regenerate, but they need your help. Managing your stress, meditation, any form of mild exercise, getting the proper nutrition, and sleeping 7-10 hours are all excellent ways to support renewal.
- Health starts upstream with emotions and thoughts, not supplements and medical tests. Your beliefs trump everything. If you believe you’ll walk hunched over a cane at age 70, chances are you will! While there is certainly tremendous value in providing the nutrients your body needs (in food or supplement form) and a need for medical tests (at times), take time to really listen to your thoughts. Then assess whether any need updating.
- Exalted emotions and righteous anger. Think about how you feel when you are full of joy or love or understanding for another’s situation. That feel-good experience bathes your cells in nitric oxide and oxytocin. And while I’m all for forgiveness, it’s important to truly feel your righteous anger but then release it from your system.
Happy, healthy, dead. That’s a motto I learned from Abraham-Hicks. It means Enjoying your life in good health up until the minute you leave this earth. That’s what healthy centenarians do! And you can do the same.