An ageless goddess rejects ageism and owns her beauty. One way you can do that is to adorn yourself with your own personal style. Don’t be embarrassed about developing a style that’s right for you right now—and asking someone to help you if that’s what you need. Agelessness means being daring and courageous, so take some chances. You don’t have to invest a lot of money in clothes, hair, and makeup to feel good in your body if you expand your ideas about what constitutes beauty. There are many simple things you can do to look better and boost your confidence in your beauty.
With hormonal changes, hair can change texture and color. A lot depends on your state of health and nutrition. There is a lot you can do to have healthier hair and nails—from the inside out. (See below.) In the meantime, why not experiment with dye, wigs, extensions, and chemical or natural curlers or straighteners to change your hair if you don’t like it. If your hair is breaking off easily, or not growing past a certain length, it could be that you’re under a lot of stress or not eating and sleeping well. It could also be that your hair can’t handle the amount of punishment it’s taking.
Consider taking a break from the chemicals and hairstyles that put stress on your hair follicles. Make sure you take a good pharmaceutical grade multivitamin. And also add some kelp tablets for iodine. You can also enhance your personal style with hats, scarves, or a radical short haircut. I always find that look really stunning!
For me, beautiful shoes are key to feeling good about how I look. High heels make a woman’s legs appear longer, and the right pair can be incredibly sexy. That said, I consider wearing high heels an “athletic” event. I can keep them on for about two hours, tops, which is long enough to dance the tango until I feel full of pleasure.
No woman should wear heels all day long because they’re awful for posture and pelvic health. If you enjoy heels, there are exercises you can use to keep your feet in good condition so they support you and make those problems less likely. For example, after dancing, I always do a self-massage of my feet in the bathtub and a series of foot stretches and exercises while soaking in Epsom salts in the water.
Whether it’s the skin on your face or anywhere else, you can make it look younger by making it healthier. In fact, your skin is simply a reflection of your overall health. And that means that the things you do to maintain optimal heart health, for example, will also show up as radiant skin.
- Most skin damage is due to cellular inflammation caused by too much sugar and trans fats in the diet along with too much of the stress hormones cortisol and epinephrine. The levels of these hormones increase when you eat poorly, which interferes with the self-healing mechanisms of the body, including the mechanisms that keep skin looking healthy and vibrant.
- In the long run, a low-sugar, nutrient-dense diet with healthy fats will promote healthier skin. This can help with rosacea, as can eliminating sugar and alcohol.
- Quality sleep will improve your skin’s health and appearance too. “Beauty” sleep is no joke.
- The production of the collagen that provides the underlying structure of skin is reduced as we age, thanks to years of stress, poor diet, environmental toxins, and gravity. Support your body’s ability to manufacture collagen by eating a low-glycemic diet, supplementing with antioxidants, and keeping your vitamin D levels optimal.
- Skin discoloration from sun damage can be reversed. The most effective method is IPL, or intermittent pulse laser, a treatment you can get from a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. This procedure also works beautifully for spider veins, too.
An Ageless Smile
As a dentist’s daughter, I know that you can tell the state of someone’s health by looking in her mouth. Our teeth naturally fade from a bright white to a more ivory tone as we age, but it’s possible to whiten teeth somewhat through peroxide treatments at home or at a dentist’s office. As you enter your ageless years, you might want to think about doing the dental procedures that will give you a better smile that you’ve put off because it felt frivolous to invest in your own beauty. Veneers, caps, and whitening can all make you feel more confident as you smile. Ultimately, the most beautiful smile is one that’s genuine. It is an expression of sheer pleasure that comes from the heart.
As you let go of constricting ideas about beauty and the cultural shaming that affects almost all women, your smile will come more easily. You’ll laugh heartily, without fearing that someone might think you’re too brassy or that you shouldn’t draw attention to yourself. You won’t care about what anyone has to say regarding your personal style because you will have owned that you are a gorgeous, powerful, and ageless goddess—an expression of the life force that can’t contain its joy. That is your birthright. Claim it and celebrate it, and you’ll be ageless!
Adapted with permission from Goddesses Never Age: The Secret Prescription for Radiance, Vitality, and Well-being. (Hay House, 2015).