Having spent the last 30 years assisting women in healing themselves on all levels and at all life stages, I’ve come to see that our bodies are the true altars—the most sacred places in our lives. Without flourishingly healthy bodies, nothing else matters, not even wealth. Yet some of you still take your bodies for granted, instead of deliberately pay loving attention to them.
If you think that paying loving attention to your body sounds silly, selfish, or self-absorbed, then consider this: Your body needs regular doses of comfort and pleasure to be optimally healthy. Without it, you are much more likely to seek pleasure from external and unsustainable sources and behaviors, including drugs, alcohol, and sugar.
My top resolution for women this year is simple: “Listen to and respect your body more than you have ever done before.” I’ve written the following user-friendly affirmations to get you started.
1. I cherish and love my body all the time, no matter what—even when I feel too fat, too old, too weak, or have cellulite. My body is where my soul lives. I beautify and worship this temple when I care for and love myself—and that includes activities like flossing my teeth, exercising and stretching, eating slowly and sensually, and breathing fully.
2. When stressed, I do things that bring me comfort—a nap, a cup of tea, a walk in the fresh air. I always avoid criticizing or beating myself up.
3. I deliberately bring goodness and pleasure into my life—even when it’s so much easier to complain. I know how easy it is to go negative, how easy it is to focus on what’s not working. But I now look moment to moment for what’s going right. And my good—and the pleasure associated with it—expands.
4. I honor my emotions—all of them—especially sorrow, grief, and anger. I feel these fully instead of reaching for a glass of wine, a cookie, or a pill. I know that my body and soul will let me know what I need if I take a moment to truly feel my emotions. I acknowledge that I cannot heal negative emotions with my mind. Healing requires having compassion for myself and taking myself into my own heart.
5. I ask for help when I need it, knowing that this gives others the gift of being of service to me. I surround myself with people who uplift and support me, not those who tear me down.
6. I invoke Divine Order regularly—knowing that the perfect solution for ALL of my problems and all of my requests has already been chosen. And when I simply relax into being guided to the right action, everything falls into place easily. This approach is far less stressful than trying to make things happen. (For more on this, read Florence Scovel Shinn’s The Game of Life and How to Play It and Tosha Silver’s Outrageous Openness: Letting the Divine Take the Lead.)
7. I breathe fully in through my nose and out through my nose. This balances my nervous system and effectively calms any excess stress.
8. I smile at myself in every mirror I pass. I revel at directing my smile into every cell in my body: my thyroid, my tongue, my throat, my lungs, my heart, my blood vessels, my kidneys, my intestines, my muscles, my genitals, my bones, my skin. I close my eyes and send well being and acceptance to all of my body parts, one by one, every day.
9. I revel in the wonder of nature and the Earth. I belong to the Earth, and she is my true Source. I regularly commune with the elements—the wind, fire, water, and earth. I commune with trees, flowers, plants, and animals, and they commune with me.I regularly walk barefoot on the Earth, knowing that the Earth emits an electromagnetic field that is healing for me.
10. I expect magic and mystery in my life. I greet each new day with the anticipation of a young child—eager to see what wonders await me!
Make this the year that you really come home to your beautiful body and the Earth. If you only make one resolution this year, I encourage you to make this your top priority. Spend time every day worshiping the temple of your soul. Your body will reward you many fold.
@Angel– from one angel to another. I have come to see that the people we most look up to an emulate are the ones who are most like the souls we REALLY are. In the 12 Step Program they say, ” If you spot it, you got it.” So if I have been your rock– in A
You have been my guidance throughout all of my crisis…spousal abuse, abandonment, cancer, death, 8 year divorce battle, death threats, PTSD, STD, loss of 4 loved ones in 5 years, bankruptcy, foreclosure, raising and supporting 3 boys on one income alone, nervous breakdown, surgery and much more… But I can solemnly swear that you have been my rock and teaching me to love and respect myself has been the key to my being alive today. I know you are an angel sent to me from above…Thank you xo
I start my day with your Daily Inspiration. I am so grateful for all your work, as it speaks directly to my heart, uplifts my spirit and invites self-healing like nothing else.
Beautiful reminder …. I prefer to take care of my body as the temple of the only one to worship (God and His son Jesus who indwells me) rather than worship my body but to long I have neglected it …
These comments are all wonderful!! Suzette– that Gaelic blessing is powerful. I could actually FEEL it sparkling through my body. Thank you one and all!! Just LOVED reading your comments here. And it’s so true– without love, no self-care will EVER be permanent!!!
Thanks for your kind and loving guidance – heard of you in the Bruno-Groening-Circle of friends here in Germany. I never miss your Daily Inspiration and I am thankful for your Newsletter. I shared this Blog with a German doktor (woman), who understands English and who liked it.
Best wishes to you in 2013!
Given you are asking in Cancer I am gssueing you are taking your temp during chemo treatments to monitor for infection.I found the digital thermometer easier to read (didn’t need my glasses) and I was able to keep the temp showing for second opinion after I removed it.However, they can become inaccurate after time (expecially if someone helpful tries to sterilise with boiling water!)When I had a visiting nurse after surgery, she isued me with a glass thermometer but was happy to swap to my digital. Her opinion was the digital were easier to use but they could only issue glass because of affordability.
I am introducing the elderly community in my care to the power of affirmations and we will be using mirrors while affirming as a group. Thank you for these beautiful affirmations. They, and your newsletter, are a powerful validation for me as I move forward with this project.
Thankyou Dr Northrup, for your very comforting and wise words, peace & love xxx
I am 55 now. “The Wisdom of Menopause” has been my bible since I was in my forties. I am soaring through this stage of change due to the wisdom I have gathered from reading Chistine’s Book, Thank you! It helped me make better and healthier choices like Accupuncture, Yoga, eating better and getting regular exercise. I continue to fine tune my journey. I share my joys and successes with other women.
Thank you again, Christine!
Wow! Dr. Northrup you ROCK my world and totally turn me on! LOL! I absolutely love and adore you! I very humbley thank you for being part of my world.
A New Year’s Gaelic blessing
of the running wave to you
of the flowing air to you
of the quiet earth to you
of the shining stars to you
of the gentle night to you,
moon and stars
pour their healing light on you
Deep Peace to you.
As usual, you have gotten to the heart of the matter. You are a beautiful inspiration and when every woman, once again, recognizes her wonder, the world will indeed be a better place.
I am counting on 2013 being my best year yet. I have been going through a nasty divorce for the past 2 years. I am sure that it will be finalized in 2013 and that I will be able to start the life i was meant to live. Thank you for all your guidance.
Thank you will share and retread often.
I can’t thank you enough for all the wonderful insights you’ve shared. I was going through a divorce (over 15 years ago) and first discovered you through Wayne Dyer and Louise Hay (Wayne has been a long time favorite) and heard you on “Empowering Women” series. I listened to it over and over along with the other wonderful women in this series. You don’t know me, but you’ve helped me change my life in the most positive and loving ways. Thank you so much for gifting my womanly soul.
I have made a commitment to what you are telling us and practice everyday with enthusiasm and a smile but if I falter I also forgive myself instead of beating myself up about it. I was thinking, OH NO!, lol When I was married I took a vow. blablabla but now I am taking a vow for myself and removing the guilt the church put on me. I now honor myself.
I love how you always brings it back to the body Dr. Northrup. Thank you for being such a positive ressource for bringing in pleasure and honouring the living experience – in all it’s facets. Truly inspiring!
I second Gerrie’s comments! Your books, blogs, Facebook posts, newsletters, etc. remind me regularly of just what I need to hear. You are very appreciated!
Love this! Thank you!
Happy New Year, Dr. Northup. I hope 2013 brings you all the wonderful things you deserve. I have listened to you for several years and you continue to inspire me and help me to appreciate all that is important. Thank you.
I have been battling anorexia for many years. Now that I am 53, and my body is begging me for nourishment, I am finally realizing that unless I adopt resolutions like the ones you encourage, I will continue to “live dead”. My healing has nothing to do with the food I eat or don’t eat. Healing will happen only if I honour my soul, my feelings, and give thanks to this body of mine that has kept fighting for me, many times despite myself, like the most loyal of all friends.
Thank you for being you Christiane! You have been such a wonderful influence in my life and have connected me to so many other wonderful resources that I am overwhelmed with gratitude! Thank you so much! Many Blessings to you in 2013! It’s going to be a wonderful year! 🙂
DR. NORTHRUP~I CHOSE 2013 TO MAKE SELF IMPROVEMENTS ON TAKING CARE OF ME! THANK YOU FOR THIS NEWSLETTER…IT CAME TO ME THROUGH MY EMAIL AND I BELIEVE IT IS A SIGN FROM THE DIVINE TO SEND ME ALONG THE BETTER PATH!!! THANK YOU!! HAPPIEST OF NEW YEARS TO YOU!!
Thank you Dr. Northrup. This is just what I needed to hear! I know I am loved but I do not love myself. I am told I am a kind and loving person and in many levels I believe that, but I still do not take the time I need to “come home to my body and worship the temple of my soul.” I pray to God daily for His help to get me to this place. I have two beautiful grandchildren that I want to run and have fun with. Thanks to your words of wisdom, this may just be my year!
Happy New Year!
Love this, thank you, thank you. A beautiful reminder that I printed to read often. I would add one more thing that really has helped me love my body more : dance like no one is watching!
Move your body freely as it wishes to move to really feel alive and connect to the childlike spirit that always danced!!! http://www.coreconnexion.net – wonderful website with videos of such dance
I like these and find that a daily affirmation reminder via email really helps keeps me on track – do you offer something like that?
thank you for this Dr Northrup .I have neglected and been unkind to myself for years but in the last 12 months have come to like myself and to realise self care is not selfish ,but is essential so that I can be there for my family ,especially my daughter as she is struggling with anorexia .
I hope it is ok to print these and put them in a healing journal I’m making for myself as a record of the little and large steps I’m taking to restore my health
love and hugs
Dear Dr Cristiane
After recently watching you on the ‘Heal your life i felt so inspired by your words, humour, and warm presence.
Thank you for every thing you do for women everywhere
love and blessings Liz UK
Thank you Gerrie and Dawn. These resolutions are so deceptively simple. So so simply. And we think” Yeah. Right.” And our minds want to know how many milligrams of zinc ( or whatever) we really need. And what food additive to stay away from, etc. Those are all important. But loving yourself– especially when you feel unlovable, is at the very HEART of all of it. And after 30 plus years on the front lines of medicine, I am absolutely CERTAIN about this!
I have been listening to you and reading your books for many years.
You always bring great joy and pleasure to me.
Thank you so very much for all you do .
Thank you, Dr. Northrup. I pray you don’t mind that I printed this and am handing them out to a few of my girls that prefer paper to e-mail. Your beautifully significant words of wisdom shall be shared with other women who have not yet had the Blessing of your “voice”. It is my sincere pleasure to be a part of the transformation from uninformed to informed, inspired, ignited, and enlightened. Simple acts with profound effects! You are changing the wisdom of women with every word.